|maximun high elevation||404m|
You are at the Touristic Information Point (TIP), which will allow you to get to know the sights of the local culture. We have set out a circular route of the urban landscape for you to enjoy its main heritage sites, this route will be guided with visible signs on the ground made of ceramic pieces, and they will clearly mark the directions to be made, allowing you to see the most important places. We hope the experience will be pleasant and that it will be an excuse to come back again.
We call your attention to a magnificent araucaria (Araucaria excels), which was planted at the end of the 19th century, it is possibly the centenary largest size of its kind in the region. They can reach up to 80 meters high and in this case it has benefited from its location, in deep loose soil with some moisture coming from the underground flow of the river.
It spread as a decorative tree around the gardens and farmhouses of the low-lying areas and half of this region along the 19th century, creating a striking contrast with the landscape.
It is the most important square of the town; it is a social area, because it is next to San Juan´s church, which is obviously, the most striking building in the square. The number two house is the oldest, and it belongs to the traditional pattern of a high class wealthy family house of the 18th century. Here is preserved some of the 19th century houses of greatest interest of the village, such as the number 3, 4 and 6.
But, also, the square has a remarkable viewpoint of the village clock, built in 1867. The ceramic plate is placed in the middle of the square but directs us towards the size of the Clock Tower, which dominates at the height of the urban scene.
The life’s of the former people of the villages was directed by the solar time, which was measured most of the times by the shadow of some natural elements (rock, tree...). With the arrival of the great public clocks along the 19th century, they were installed in towers erected for this purpose or in the churches, in search of higher sound effects of the bells or even, depending on the secular or religious domain of the time.
The old church in ruins was located in the Plaza Vieja, the new one, which was devoted to San Juan Bautista, was built in the lowest part of the village over the old vegetable garden, affecting some of the houses around the area. It was designed by the architect Domingo Thomas between 1796 and 1802 according to the neoclassic taste of the time, which was an exception in the Alpujarra area.
It has a Latin cross with the arms of the outstanding transept and inside it is covered with a barrel vault with transverse rib. The interior spaces are interpreted outside: the cross-shaped volume stands out clearly regarding the volumes of the chapels and the sacristy.
The factory maintains the traditional mixing technique of drawers between rafters and ribbons of brick masonry, but with particularity that it was plastered with lime and on this surface it imitates the same constructive mural painting system.
The town hall´s square is an essential element in the urban landscape, situated in a growing area among the 18th and the 19th century. Here stands the town Hall, built in 1902 and demolished at the end of the last century to get a better administrative functionality, although the frontage is the same, in accordance with the historicist style of the bourgeois houses of the moment.
Indeed, it highlights the classicism in the layout of the gaps, the use of the lower arc, the two floor high frames reinforced by false blocks on the side and the typical flat Mediterranean covered.
It is a historical corner and a central place in the South area of the town. Here is located the House of José Valverde, the building is dated in the 18th century and it is characterized by the big bars which jut out in the ground floor located at no. 1 house.
In the opposite side of the square it is located the reformed old house La Inquisición, which preserves, apart from the gate, the bars of the top floor window finished with a cross which has lost its arms.
The alleyway where this house is located, which is where our route continues, is known as "Callejón de las Brujas", perhaps because of its relationship with the aforementioned House.
On our route, through a rough access, it is found the medieval borough of La Mesquita, where it is located the peculiar shed Anetillo and the borough El Barranco from the Muslim period as well. The ceramic tile is located on the ground at the beginning of the borough; therefore we should step back over our own steps to continue the urban route.
Equally, from here you can access to the Peñón del Moro, over which was the already missing hizan or castillejo of Alboloduy. The archaeological remains found in this settlement proved a previous presence of the Bronze Age and the Roman period.
Until the 19th century, much of the urban center of Alboloduy was concentrated in the East and South slope of the Peñón del Moro. Here it is located several caves dug into the rock; some of them are currently closed.
Nevertheless, there were regularly big rocks falling, causing major material damage and even personal misfortunes. For this reason at the end of the 19th century 100.000 pesetas of that time were destined to build a tower that could contain the landslide, known as " la chimenea"(the chimney).
A few meters ahead, behind the tower, it is located an interesting viewpoint over the river and the Peñón de la Reina, the enormous massif located on the other side, where it is located the most important site of the Bronze Age of our region.
After this visit we should re-take our steps to continue the urban route.
It belongs to a magnificent hydraulic system, which starts, in a first trellis space, with the Fountain of the Siete Caños, where women and men used to collect water in jugs almost every day, on foot or using an animal, for the domestic use.
The taps pour water over a channel, the old trough, essential to soothe the thirst of the work animals and from there, the water still clean arrives to the washing area, where it is placed a long basin, built in the late 20th century, and that meant an important improvement in the women working conditions that until then they had to wash bending on their knees in the irrigation canals. Finally, the water falls into a large open pool, which controls the watering of the right hand side of the river birth, downstream from the village.
Alboloduy fountain is fed by a medieval gallery, dug into the rocks, it is approximately 4 meters long, and it crosses the basement of the Peñón del Moro, and it counts with several air ventilation and cleaning wells.